Message from Sheriff Jeff Shaver
Protect Yourself from Home Repair Fraud
Recently, there have been a few reports regarding Home Repair Fraud. In order to help prevent this from happening in the future, we have listed a few important tips that you and anyone else you know should be aware of when it comes to remodeling your home and/or other types of home repairs.
The following are some tips for finding qualified, reputable remodelers:
- Verify that the remodeler is licensed by the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board as required by law.
- Investigate the reputation and experience of the remodeler.
- Seek referrals from friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers who have had remodeling work done.
- Check with the local Remodelers or Home Builders Association for names of remodeler members. Membership in the HBAA and the Remodelers indicates a remodeler’s commitment to professional customer service and quality construction.
- Check with your local or state consumer protection agency or Better Business Bureau to find out if any unresolved complaints have been filed against the remodeler.
- Request copies of the remodeler’s insurance certificates to verify that he or she carries insurance that protects you from claims arising from property damage or job site injuries.
- Don’t compare apples to oranges – when evaluating bids from contractors make sure they are based on identical project specifications.
- Be wary of a contractor who asks for full payment before the job has begun. A payment schedule should be part of your written agreement and may be tied to benchmarks such as completing various phases of the job.
This information and more can also be found on the Home Builders Association of Alabama / Prevent Home Repair Fraud webpage at https://hbaa.org/wp/consumers/prevent
As always, if you need our assistance, contact our office at 256-927-3365 during business hours, Monday – Friday 8am – 4pm or contact Dispatch directly at any time on the non-emergency line at 256-927-3939.