New School Term Begins August 9th For Students
The School Board is working to get the new school year off to a great start. During the regular Board meeting Tuesday, the student handbook and the employee handbook were approved. The new school calendar for 2023-24 school year was approved with assessment dates included.
Mr. Welsh asked the Board to review the revised travel procedures.
The Board approved nominations for the Board of Equalization who are Michael Westbrook, Kevin Green and Chad Stallings.
The Energy Savings Budgets for the School Term was approved for Cedar Bluff, Centre Middle and Gaylesville Schools.
Contracts for services were approved for Seasons Counseling and Consulting Services for Counseling services, Milk Contract with Borden Dairy, supplemental groceries bid from Osborne Brothers, pest control services from Extermco for Cherokee County High School Common areas, concession stands, and federal programs building.
Out of State travel was approved for the Gayesville Varsity Football team and coaches to travel to Summerville, Georgia for Camp Hamby Football Camp on July 26 and 27 which is funded by the Gaylesville Football funds.
The following personnel actions were approved:
- New Position
1. History/Computer Science Teacher at Spring Garden School
1. Cathy Wilson, Mathematics Teacher at Cedar Bluff School – Effective Immediately
2. Cody Hays, Music Teacher at Sand Rock School and Centre Middle School – Effective Immediately
3. Mandi Caldwell, Assistant Principal at Centre Middle School – Effective: August 1, 2023
4. Blake Neivel, Bus Driver at Centre Middle School – Effective: August 1, 2023
5. Erin Myrick, Special Ed Paraprofessional – Effective Immediately
6. Stephen Lanham, Bus Driver at Spring Garden School – Effective Immediately
C. Certified Transfers by Agreement Effective: 2023-2024 School Year
1. Jonna Betterton from (10 Month) School Counselor to (9 Month/20 Day Supplement + 10% of current salary) Assistant Principal at Centre Middle School (Mandi Caldwell’s Position)
2. Jonathan (Jay) Prater from (10 Month) JAG Specialist to (9 Month) Business Education Instructor at Cherokee County Career and Technology Center (Heather Money’s Position)
3. Wendy Moon from (9 Month) Special Education Teacher at Cherokee County High School to (9 Month/20 Day Supplement) JAG Specialist at Cherokee County Career and Technology Center (Jay Prater’s Position)
- Christian (Britt) Chandler from (9 Month) Intervention Teacher to (9 Month) Special Education Teacher at Cherokee County High School (Wendy Moon’s Position)
- Certified Placements Effective: 2023-2024 School Year:
- Morgan Fowle, Mathematics Teacher at Cedar Bluff School – Pending Certification (Cathy Wilson’s Position)
- Ashley Burt, Special Education Teacher at Centre Middle School – Pending Certification (Kelly Langlois’s Position)
- Matthew Wheeler, Intervention Teacher at Cherokee County High School – Pending Background Clearance and Certification (Christian Chandler’s Position)
- Dustin Stephens, Science Teacher at Sand Rock School ( CJ Jones Position)
- Lucas McMichen, Mathematics Teacher at Sand Rock School – Pending Background Clearance and Certification (Jonathan McGill’s Position)
- Draevan Bowman, History/Computer Science Teacher at Spring Garden School – Pending Certification (OOF) (New/Jason Howard)
- Classified Placements Effective: 2023-2024 School Year
- Timothy King, Bus Driver at Centre Middle School (Matthew Neivel’s Position)
- Crystal Stimpson, Special Education Paraprofessional w/Bus Aide Responsibilities (Erin Myrick’s Position)
- William Tiencken, In-School Suspension/Instructional Paraprofessional at Sand Rock School (Kenny Beck’s Position)
- Amanda Young, Pre-K Instructional Paraprofessional (Auxiliary Teacher) at Sand Rock School – Pending Background Clearance and OSR Certication (New Position)
- F. Principal Contract Adjustment
Add language to each principal contract to allow salary and supplement amounts to be updated each year of the contract to coincide with the state teacher salary matrix.
- Contract Change
- Kyonna Baker from 8 Hour Special Education Paraprofessional/Bus Aide to 7.5 Hour Special Education Paraprofessional
- Review Current Job Postings
TYPE JOB TITLE SYSTEM/SCHOOL POSTING DATECLOSING DATE
At Large Music Teacher Centre Middle School/Sand Rock School 7/11/2023 Until Filled
Internal TEAMS – Math Teacher – 6 Positions Cherokee County *4/25/2023 Until Filled
Internal TEAMS – Science Teacher – 9 Positions Cherokee County *4/25/2023 Until Filled
At Large Bus Driver – Tentative Posting Spring Garden School 7/24/2024 7/31/20